Saturday, January 15, 2011

Review: Laura Geller Balance N Brighten


I wanted to do a quick review of Laura Geller Balance N Brighten which is a baked foundation with many infused color that is suppose to color-correct your skin and give you a flawless-looking complexion.
I came across this powder foundation while browsing through Ulta's website.  I love reading reviews and seeing people's reaction to the product before buying them.  This product was rated 4.8 out of 5 on the Ulta website and after reading many positive reviews about it I thought I would give it a try.  I have been using Bare Minerals powder foundation for about three years now and I thought now would be the time to find something better.  I bought it for $31 which I feel like it is a bit over-priced.      


The direction instructs you to use all over your face in place of foundation or with your favorite base for an even and healthy glow. Mix with Bronze-N-Brighten to achieve a flawlessly bronzed complexion.
  
As you can see from the picture above, there are different shades of color mixed together.  It seems like it would last a while.  I've used it probably about seven times for a full coverage look and it still looks like I just opened the package.  It does not look like it is going down at all.

This foundation comes in three different shades.  You have a choice of Regular/Medium, Fair, or Tan.  One thing that sucks about buying online is not being able to swatch the product to see which one would match me more.  From the photo I thought fair would be too light on me so I bought the regular/medium one.  I was WRONG.  The regular/medium was too dark on me.  It did not look good and made me look like I had a fake tan on.  I hate when the color of my face from my foundation is different from the color of my neck.  I guess I wont be using this foundation until I get tan in the summer.  
 
I did not use any concealer or liquid foundation at all.  I only used the Benifit's POREfessional primer.
Here is a before and after photo swatch on my cheek.  Sorry for the bad lighting and photo.  Yuck! and sorry for my ugly, bare skin. lol
As you can see from the photo, it did give me a good coverage.  It also evened my skintone and covered my redspots and blemishes.  It does give me a matte look and has no shimmer to it. 
I used Coastal Scent's foundation brush. 


I was putting the powder foundation on my sofa because its by my window and it got pretty messy.  Here is a photo of the area I set the compact on. 

The Good
It's very easy to use
It does feel lightweight
It does last throughout the day
It does not rub off from your face to your fingers, clothes, or towel.  (You know how some foundations if you touch your face with your fingers and then the foundation goes on your fingers to wherever you touch next--mine always gets on my textbook) 
It gives a matte look
It evens skintone
It does brighten your skin
It does look like it would last months before you would have to repurchase

The Bad
It gets pretty messy because the powder falls out whenever you use a brush to swipe the foundation.  (picture above--my sofa)
It doesn't give me the coverage I need--I had to swipe the foundation with my brush many times in order to get the amount I wanted on my face.
Its very pricey
It does not come in many shades (only 3)

My Recommendation
If you do not need much coverage on your face and just want a nice even skintone, I would recommend this for you.  I have too many blemishes, scars, redspots for only this powder foundation.  I find it works better for me when I put liquid foundation or concealer on before using it. 
I would also recommend this to someone who is a beginner at putting powder foundation because it's very easy to apply.


I give Laura Geller Balance N Brighten Powder Foundation 4 out of 5 hearts.


~A Reminder:  This is only my opinion.  I have heard many great reviews about this product and just because it's not the best for me doesn't mean it won't work for you.  I also have no affiliation with Laura Geller's product.  I bought the product with my own money.  Thanks for taking the time reading this and hope you all enjoyed my very first review.  :)

8 comments:

  1. Great review, I have also heard great things about Laura Gellars products. This one reminds me somewhat of what I use MAC's natural MSF for, with perhaps more of a matte coverage. Thumbs up for the swatch photos, you do not have ugly skin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Tracy! I am so self-conscious about my skin. I appreciate your thoughtful comment on my first review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your reviews! Good job!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw this on Overstock.com and wasn't too sure about the product but I guess if you don't mind swiping it repeatedly then it's fine. I think this will work for me as I don't need to cover anything other than my dark circles. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Pat and Soua!

    Toni: I hope the review helped you. I'm so jealous of flawless skin. You're so lucky. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. meh... i'll probably pass on this product but the benefit porefessional primer looks GREAT!!!
    gotta check it out in stores =D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Steph: The primer works pretty well. Gives a smooth touch to my face.

    ReplyDelete