Wednesday, January 26, 2011

The Things I Do For Beautiful Skin

Skin is such a sensitive topic for me to talk about.  Throughout the years, I can say I never had a big issue with having acne problems or major breakouts.  I would have them once and a while usually on my chin (T-zone areas) but never to a point where it would not disappear.  Toward the end of the summer, I started to break out constantly.  I thought maybe it's the stress, not having enough sleep, the food I'm eating, my make-up products, or my period.  But as days went by, it never got better.  I felt very insecure about the way I looked and went on a skincare/acne product shopping spree.  Everytime I heard something good from someone whether it's someone I knew or on the internet, I had to get the product hoping it would work for my skin.  Each day it seemed like it would get worse and worse.

Now these acne I have are the annoying kind.  They're the ones that give a bump on your face and just stay there.  I have tons of them on my forehead (which I never get acne on my forehead and never ever on my cheeks).  I started breaking out on my right cheek as well.  All my family and relatives started noticing the change in my skin and nothing makes you more insecure than when someone points out how much acne you have.  It's pretty sad.

Above is a photo of all the skincare products I bought throughout the months/years.  Now I know what you are going to say next--WELL THE REASON WHY SHE BROKE OUT IS BECAUSE SHE'S USING TOO MANY PRODUCTS--I did not start using different products until I started breaking out.  Sometimes I used Clearasil Ultra Acne Clearing Scrub in the shower but before my major break out I NEVER used all these skincare products (some of these item I bought be still haven't tried yet).  Now maybe I did started overusing skincare products on my face but there were times I didn't use anything at all.  Nothing seemed to help.  Some days were better than others but still my skin was not the way it use to be.  I miss it so much.

The break down of all my skincare products.

Make-Up Remover Cloth

Face Scrubs

Cleanser


Toner

Moisturizer

Mask

Other Skincare Products

NOTE:  Some of these products were helpful, but not to my satisfaction.  Just because it did not work for me does not mean it will not work for you.  I just want you all to know that I'm not saying I wouldn't recommend these skincare products.  I just wanted you guys to see all the things I do just for clear skin.  I used so much money.  All the money I spent on these products I could have just gone to a dermatologist! :P

Then after talkig to my sister Patt, watching Jen/FromHeadToToe on YouTube about her skincare routine, and reading Elise's acne blog post, I decided it was time to see a dermatologist.

I finally made an appointment and met with a dermatologist last week Tuesday.  Here is what I received from them.

  Sheets of paper explaining my medication

I got three prescribed medications and he also gave me trial size cleansers and moisturizer that I could use as needed.


My Morning Routine

Benzoyl Peroxide Creamy Wash 4%--leave on face for only 10 seconds.
Doxycycline--an antibiotic medication  *My dermatologist gave me a choice of taking this antibiotic or not to.  He said taking this antibiotic would work faster than the topical medication.  I was a little iffy about the antibiotic because I learned in class that you shouldn't abuse antibiotics.  Because I was in desperate need for a clear beautiful skin, I thought I would have to try it.  Let me know what you think.  Do you think taking an antibiotic for acne medication is good or bad?  Have you taken any antibiotic for acne?  Does it work?  I would love to hear your opinions.

My Night Routine

Cetaphil, Cerave, or Purpose--for a mild face wash
Tretinoin Cream--for topical use

I noticed that my skin is getting better but I know it will take a couple of weeks to see the full effect.  I'm really glad I went to a dermatologist because they are doctors and they know what is right for your skin.  What works for you may not work for me.  We all have different skin types. 


My Tips
  • Don't use too many skincare products for your skin
  • Keep the same skincare product routine for about a month
  • Wash your makeup off at night (something I rarely did until I started breaking out)
  • Drink lots of water a day to keep your body hydrated
  • If you feel your acne problem is not getting any better (just getting worse), I really recommend you to see a dermatologist.
  • Wash your makeup brushes
  • Buy trial size skincare products before buying a full big bottle.  Try a small one out to see if it works for your skin first.  Don't waste your money like I did.
  • Don't pick your acne (something I always do too) because it will cause scars
  • Don't touch your face so much--think of all the things your fingers touch and to get it on your face.
  • Be confident--know that things will get better soon. :)

Now I will be boxing all my skincare products and storing it away.  I can't wait to have clear, beautiful skin!!!


Hope This Was Helpful!


17 comments:

  1. I love the olay face cloth. That make up remover tho I used before and that actually made my skin worse. My lifesaver that actually cleared my whole face was witch hazel, and the aspirin,honey home remedy. I would have breaks out for a long time as well. Also Dermalogica helps as well. I am excited for your new treatments tho. Let me know how it works! =] Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heya! Just wanted to let you know that I chose you for "You're One Awesome Blog Award"! Details are at http://prettyinthedesert.blogspot.com/2011/01/my-very-first-award.html xx

    ps. I had a problem with my breakouts for a while, and at the end of last year my dermatologist put me on Differin. It really helped, I only used it for 6 weeks but it really cleared everything up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing the tips! Good job on the post, since I had pretty bad breakouts as well. Biotherm worked wonders for me, so I was lucky, but this is a handy post with tips for me to keep in mind!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never had problems on my skin either UNTIL I had this thing on my face. Basically, it was face-dandruff. :( Glad it's gone now though. I hope yours will go away too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope your new routine works for you, thanks for sharing that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. this was really nice of you to share~
    I too had a major break out moment this past september && is STILL dealing with the after effects~

    best of luck with your skin!!!
    hope it gets better~

    ReplyDelete
  7. EVERYONE: THANKS FOR ALL THE THOUGHTFUL COMMENTS!!!! I REALLY APPRECIATE ALL YOUR LOVE AND SUPPORT!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very helpful and great tips! Now following you XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  9. skin is touchy for me to. But I don't deal with breakouts. I suffer from Eczema. YIKES. but Cetaphil has worked great for me. I'm glad it gives you some improvement.

    and thanks for following. Just wanted to let you know I gave you an award. :D
    http://mymycares.blogspot.com/2011/01/award-versatile-blogger.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Venus In Virgo: Thanks for coming by, commenting, and following! :)

    My-My: Awww thanks so much for the award!

    ReplyDelete
  11. thanks for showing us your skin care regimen.. i love seeing what other people use for their skin care.

    please stop by and visit my blog.. i'm hosting a birdcage bangle giveaway :)

    www.lisalovescoco.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I feel you girl, my skin is a sensitive topic for me also bc I have FAR from perfect skin...it sucks but I've just learn to deal with it and use makeup to accentuate my face and cover instead. I hope your current treatment works out for you!

    BTW, thank you for getting the word out about my giveaway, I will be sure to give you an additional entry. =] <3

    ReplyDelete
  13. I rally like these products i follow your instructions.

    Online Travel Tourism

    ReplyDelete
  14. beautiful makeup products and lovely your posting
    Romantisch Hotel Bruges

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for sharing the tips! Good job on the post, since I had pretty bad breakouts as well. Biotherm worked wonders for me,

    ReplyDelete
  16. great post.........ahan so thats the secret behind your flawless glowing skin;-)

    ReplyDelete